View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

My concern with this play and I have seen it run many times is that the offensive player is gaining an advantage when they jump out of bounds to make the toss across the key.

In the NFHS rules book under the heading of Points of Emphasis page 70 it states, "Players must play the game within the confines of the playing court. Otherwise, a tremendous advantage is gained by allowing a team or player more space than allowed." It then goes on and talks about players running out of bounds to avoid defenders and to go around screens. (JRut's points)

If the rules require a defensive player to establish defensive guarding position inbounds and maintain it inbounds, then why are we giving an advantage to the offensive player by allowing him/her to jump and land out of bounds to make a pass. They are not saving the ball nor is their momentunm carrying them out of bounds. They are deliberately jumping out of bounds to avoid the defense. It should be fair for both offensive and defensive players at the same time. In my book, this is a technical foul and another reason this rule should be changed to a violation.