View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
People act like FED is some stange, unfathomable, monolithic structure in which officials, out of touch with reality, sit around and create different rules for the sake of being different.

FED rules are the result of suggestions made primarily by COACHES. Over the past five or six years that I have actually paid attention to proposed and actual changes I have seen that those few changes that have simplified matters have come from the officiating side and those that have moved a rule away from OBR or have created something new come from coaches.

So the next time a coach b!tches about FED tell him to do something about it.
And maybe what you describe is the problem.

Why should there be so many varied inputs as to how a well-established game is played?

Somehow I doubt that the COACHES are driving the mechanism nearly as much as others.

Even some of the interpretations are downright kooky.

If the catcher, while fielding a bunt, throws the ball over F3's head and the umpire determines the the BR's being out-of-the-lane may have caused the bad throw ... call the BR out for a lane violation? C'mon!

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
And just what's so bad about that interpretation?

FED doesn't want F2 drilling the BR in the head to make a point like kids in college or the pros would do.

I think for HS that's a good rule, and that's who FED is targeting.

Also, now that many Legion, and many of our youth travel teams are using FED rules during the season, it makes it pretty easy for our area.

But, in the play mentioned, it would have to be very obvious that F2 was trying to avoid the BR to make the call.

I've seen it called once and it was a good call by the PU, and in a playoff game if I remember - 1A schools.

FED has some different interpretations but I like calling FED. I just wish they would change the rule back for the missed base.

When that rule was in effect (umpires simply called the runner out) I never had a missed base in 5 or 6 years.

This year alone, I've seen at least 10 missed bases and none of them have been appealed.

I've had several appeals, but they were all when guys actually touched the base.

Just goes to prove that kids will do what is expected out of them. Expect them to touch the base or you are out and they will touch the bases. Let them get away with it and they will.

Thanks
David