View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Golly guys,

For over 30 years I have worked fields that were so non-traditional that "different" ground rules were the norm rather than not.

I have worked field were there was an outfield fence to near home plate that pop-ups could be home runs (their answer, any ball over that fence is a double), I worked a summer legion tourney where a light standard had started to fall apart (their answer, the right field foul line angled 90* IN towards second base just past the end of the dirt at first base, the line moved about 30 feet towards second then angled back towards the right filed corner . . . this was the foul line and DBT no players could enter . . . ground ball between F3 and F4 into RF -- FOUL BALL.)

I worked a game with EXACTLY the ground rule as described by Pete above.

I worked Legion Games where at the pre-game conference you are told "we play FED".

For all of you that say "I wouldn't work a game under those condiditons" I feel sorry for you. Where I work we don't have nice fenced in fields, and the game is played by KIDS for kids.

I play the rules that I am told are "the rules" to refuse to allow this is not only a break in customer service (oh no, that sounds like Peter) but it is really nothing that you really have anything to say about.

Now I WOULD listen if you talked about SAFETY (I don't mean little picky $hit stuff) then I'd have a better tendency to listen.