Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Too much ado...

If a manager wants to calmly discuss a ruling I will discuss. I tell them this at pregame. If a manager wants to argue a judgement call, I am not interested, and I tell them this at pregame also.
Do you then pull out the rulebook and read rules 1 through 9?

Take the lineups and wish them luck. Anything else is nonsense.
Managers generally come out with only one thing on their mind (sometimes two), so there is no need to interpet the whole book. Hear them out, explain what you have, and they will go back to the dugout. I don't see discussing a ruling with a manager as nonsense. I have never seen a major league, college, or high school game where a manager was tossed simply for coming out for a discussion, especially if done in a calm, professional manner. They only get tossed when they show their a**.
I was talking about the pregame and telling them to feel free to discuss calls during the pregame. You're already putting in their minds the idea that they will have something to discuss. Just take the lineup cards, do the ground rules, and go.

He11, I have a video clip of a discussion I had with a college coach last year that lasted almost 2 minutes. Nobody got tossed. No voices got raised. I'm happy to talk with civilized people.
Thanks for clarification. I will take your suggestion under advisement. I started making these statements several years ago, after a play at 2B. After making the call, I turned to my left and found the 3B coach (the manager) in my face. A loud argument ensued and I ended up tossing him, he would not leave, and the game was forfeited (the tossed coach's team was losing 12-5 in the 5th at the time). I vowed that if anyone every ran onto the field at me like that again it would be a quick toss. So, the point of the pregame suggestion is that if they will be civil I am approachable, but if they run out on the field it will be a short stay. Maybe I should drop it and let them find out for themselves...
Do what works for you. I just don't like the idea of telling a coach how I expect him to act -- it makes it sound like I'm expecting bad behavior.