View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
How many associations do you guys belong to?
Are you allowed to be a part of multiple associations in your area?
If so, what are some of the conflicts/ issues concerned?

We have multiple assignors (some are in the same association and some are in others) in my area and they all seem to work together (get along) with each other but sometimes you already have a game from one guy and another offers you a better game. I decided a while ago that I won't get off a game for one assignor to get one from another. Do you think being on multiple lists will keep me from ever getting to the top of anyones list?
Here in Pa, the state governing body (PIAA) requires that an official belong to one, and only one, chapter/association, per sport. Now this doesn't stop officials from getting games from other assignors/chapters...I got varsity games this year from 5 different assignors, including my own. For varsity games, almost all conferences (with the exception of some of the lower classifications) contract out an assignor. These assignors are always affiliated with usually one association, but most assignors have more than one conference. Therefore, the officials in that association usually get first crack at the games in that conference(s), and then if the assignor needs officials from other associations s/he will go get them. For games below varsity, then the assignor will use people from the association s/he belongs to (which again, can only be one, therefore every association has an assignor) almost exclusively.