View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Re: OBR vs FED vs College vs Common Sense

Quote:
Originally posted by hardball3b
Gentlemen - this discussion (and hundreds more like it) have finally broke the straw on this camels back. Is there ANYONE out there that can give a honest example of why there are rules differences (OTHER THAN FOR SAFETY, THE TIME WINDOW, & PARTICIPATION?SUBSTITUTION) between OBR, Fed, or College? I just don't get why in OBR, a balk is not an immediate dead ball, and in Fed it is. The pick being discussed is just another example. Wouldn't life on the diamond be better if the "rules where the rules"? Other than "political ego's", what's is the reasoning behind playing a simply complicated game under different sets of rules? One thing it does do: Increases my resource library!
All rules are designed to strike an appropriate balance between offense and defense. The measure of what's appropriate is a value judgment and that value will vary by the individual(s) making the judgment. In addition, the skill levels (of the players, coaches and umpires) vary by level, so rules need to be in place to be sure that whatever balance is desired is maintained.

For example, take the "skunk in the outfield" play. It's legal at all levels. But, I can see a case for making it illegal at lower levels (LL, for example), where the players run better than they throw and catch. Allowing the play in youth ball *might* give the offense too much of an advantage.