Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by ysong
Quote:
Originally posted by bballrob
Quote:
Originally posted by ysong
Double dribble violation.

His first dribble ends during the lay-up. (ball come to a rest at his hand), so he can not start another dribble with 3 exceptions. touching the wrong ring is not one of them.

HS 9-5-1 "A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended,
unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 . . . A try for field goal.
ART. 2 . . . A bat by an opponent.
ART. 3 . . . A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player."
I'm in this camp.
But then what if he catches his "rebound" without more dribble?

I believe it is still a violation, but not sure what the right term is for this. still "double dribble"? What is the official term of intentional "self-pass" without ball hittig the floor?

Thanks.

I think you could rightfully call a travel on this as soon as he touches the ball again.
To both you and BoomerSooner,
This is NOT a travel. In order to travel the player MUST be holding the ball (with one goofy exception, 4.43.5 SitB last sentence).

RULE 4 - SECTION 43 TRAVELING
Traveling (running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball.

As Bob Jenkins pointed out earlier in this thread, the correct call here is an illegal dribble violation. It is that same signal as a double dribble, but a slightly different concept. See casebook play 4.15.4 Sit D that I cited earlier for the explanation.