View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
Smile Here is what works for me

For what it's worth, here is what works for me:

I hear "He's going!" Once I see the cather cock his arm back, I take my first step back w/ my right foot, the as the ball is released, I come back w/ my left, all the while facing the ball, (I start square to the batter, at this point my body is faced so the left should is facing the plate. Depending on the level of ball and the velocity of the throw is how many steps I can get towards 2nd. (just don't get too close) I let the ball turn my shoulders and eyes towards the play. I get as close as I can get to 90` but I never get quite there. I don't alway get locked w/ my hands on knees yet, but I at least lock my knees and get the 'camera' steady. If I need to 'look closer' to the play, especially on an out call, I cheat a step or two towards the play while pausing to make sure possesion of the ball was kept or when doing my mechanic.

What I've found this year on pick-off and/or steals that I thought I missed, I usually rushed the call. Try slowing it down and see if that helps. I'm working on slowing it down alot this year and almost everyone I'm unsure of, in retrospect I rushed.

Bob