View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Mark - are you sure you have what the umpire decided correctly... both of these require SOME judgement.

In scenario 1, if the umpire felt the ball hit the bat (and not the bat hit the ball), it's Play On (in neither scenario is this a foul ball, unless the ball was in foul territory when it hit the bat).

In scenario 2, if the umpire felt the ball had some arc to it (this is not the technically best way to describe it, but it's the simplest), then you have a catch, and an out on the runner for not tagging, NOT a foul tip. Again, ruling correctly.

Were you the coach in these two situations? If so, what exactly did the umpire say he saw (what everyone else "saw" is immaterial). If he saw something different that what is described in this post, did you protest?
I am just a parent watching these games.

In the first scenario, the right handed girl bunted the ball and took off running with bat in hand, about two steps out of the box she released the bat literally on top of the ball as the ball was rolling, the ball shot out of bounds, they ruled it a foul ball. The only thing I can think of that maybe the umpire might have thought the bunter was not all the was out of the box, but her being a right handed batter and this took place a good ten feet up the 1b line, it was pretty clear she was not. Also, I don't think it matters if she was in the box as the ball did not hit her bat, she hit the ball with her bat. The coach never even questioned it.

the second scenario was definetly a tip. The umpire even went on to say that a foul tip on specifically a bunt was an out. He said it matter of factly as the coach did question the call, but did not "argue" it. He couldn't even confuse the count as it was the first pitch thrown to this hitter. Not only did he call the batter out, the catcher threw the ball to second on the steal, but the runner was safe on the play, they then threw the ball to first at the other coaches request and they doubled her up. I'm sorry, but this was just plain wrong calls.