View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the maneuver: http://www.eteamz.com/HoustonHS/vide...up_pickoff.mov

IMO

BALK!
BALK in FED! BALK in OBR! BALK in China! BALK on Mars!

"The Windup Position. The pitcher shall stand facing the batter, his entire pivot foot on, or in front of and touching and not off the end of the pitcher's plate, and the other foot free.
(Let's call this next sentence #1)
From this position any natural movement associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without interruption or alteration.

He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot. "

The 1st move this pitcher made was a step back with his free foot. Once he did that...he's committed to a pitch. Reason, for a RHP in Windup position, the first step in his natural delivery is always a step back with the left foot.

Now, you'll argue what about (2) below:

"From this position he may: (1) deliver the ball to the batter, or (2) step and throw to a base in an attempt to pick off a runner, "

I'd argue right back..., but look at (3).
"or (3) disengage the rubber (if he does he must drop his hand to his sides). In disengaging the rubber the pitcher must step off with his pivot foot and not his free foot first."

Now, I don't think #3 is the reason for a BALK is this sitch, but it makes about as much sense to argue #3 as it does to ignore #1 while arguing #2.

If you look at the rules individually, you can find ways around them. We (umpires) can't do that. That a Rat's job....Notice I didn't say coach.

Yeah, OBR says you can step toward a base from WUP, but if that step breaks another rule....it's not legal.

Coaches, teach your kids proper mechanics and fundamentals....leave the cracks to the Rats.