View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewm

It's unfortunate that we're even having this dicussion. I should be able to have complete faith that the umps know the rules.
What level do you coach again? MiLB, MLB? D-1 SuperRegionals? Great. Then your umpires should be able to have complete faith that you and your players will perform accordingly, eh?

As do players, umpires have to learn their craft and you have to expect you will get a lot of "learners" at your level. You are wrong to think "I should be able to have complete faith that the umps know the rules."

But acting appropriately and with integrity is never wrong, no matter what level of umpire you are dealing with.

And it is not unfortunate that we are having this discussion at all. It is very fortunate. You have the opportunity to learn to deal honestly with situations or choose to deal with them manipulatively.

A true Rat attempting to justify his sleazy actions reminds me of my Grandfather's explanation of advertisers and other "smooth talkers". While walking in our pasture he pointed at a pile of manure. "That, Garth, is a pile of sh!t", he said. "You can pour all the perfume in the world on top of it and it might smell better, but it's still a pile of sh!t."