View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewm
Garth, I just want to be able to execute a legal pick-off manuever - from the windup. I'm not trying to get over on anyone. It's in the rulebook plain as day. However, based on my discussions with other coaches in the area and a few umps, it sure looks like I'm going to get a balk called.

If there is a good chance of that happening, I would like to find out the best way to handle the situation. One option is pro-active (talk to the ump before the game) and the other option is reactive. If I'm unable to talk to the ump prior to the game, then I have two choices - not run the play or deal with the ump if I get a balk call. David's advice seems like a good way to handle the situation in the latter case.

As someone said, pick your battles. We will pick a timely point in the game to attempt this. Either to set a tone for the rest of the game by keeping baserunners off balance or to get a crucial out. Therefore, it will be a battle I want to fight.

It's unfortunate that we're even having this dicussion. I should be able to have complete faith that the umps know the rules.
You have a very good outlook on this. You properly sensed that you were getting some undeserved heat from others. That's simply because you have revealed the fact that you coach. To many, that, by definition, makes you a "rat."

Allow me to give you some more advice on this. This advice is based on experience. Too much knowledge can be a very frustrating thing. That is often the case when you umpire AND coach - like yourself. Many times you are going to have umpires who are not nearly as accomplished as yourself. You are going to recognize that fact pretty quickly. But you have to learn to accept it and live with it. If you can't - then you shouldn't be coaching AND umpiring.

Specifically, with regard to balks, it has been my experience that if you do something surprising or unusual (like a pickoff from the windup position), an inexperienced (or a bad) umpire will call it a balk nearly every time. This will especially be true when he's faced with a chorus of "That's a balk!" from you opponents who will certainly make that comment when they are equally surprised. It's often a losing proposition.

The bottom line: Sometimes you can be too smart for your own good.

As already mentioned, your only choices are 1) communicate with the umpires ahead of time or, 2) prepare to go to war and climb that hill.

The third and, by far, the more remote possibility is that the umpire will be good enough to know exactly how to call the play - like many of the fine umpires in this forum.

In the area in which our team plays, my money is not on the third possibility.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN