View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Since this is umpiring ...

Quote:
Originally posted by David B

Since this is an umpiring board, this is a good opportunity for young umpires to see how coaches think - always trying to get an edge.

And, a good lesson for young umpires - only offer rule book information. When a coach asks for information, use the rule book, don't tell him what you think happened.

Example - the play about the kid bunting. No coach he did not offer at the pitch, he was simply trying to get out of the way of the ball.

In other words, I'm not going to bail out the pitcher who threw a horrible pitch simply because the coach wants an explanation.

There are many many times during the season there will be plays that I can't explain exactly what happened - so I don't try.

Another example - Saturday game and kid is struggling with his pitching mechanics. But, he's still legal.
Suddenly coach says, he can't do that and calls time.

He told me he was on the mound and then changed to the set without stepping off. My comment, "coach I didn't see it." I asked PU, same comment. Game goes on no problem.

I didn't see the kid do anything wrong, but I'm not going to try and argue with the coach.

Thanks
David [/B]
Excellent!

Your observations and advice are dead on!

You, at least, are mature and wise enough to understand the dynamics - and learn from it without getting all offended and appalled by the interaction. You calmly deal with it - and life goes on.

You exercise people skills and purposely withhold information to serve a greater good. Completely understandable.

And, while coaching, when an umpire deals with me in this way - I respect him (although I may disagree with him) and understand exactly where he's coming from.

At least you realize there is a lesson in all this. You are absolutely correct in bringing this to the attention of the younger/inexperienced umpires. That is a much better (and more mature) approach than to just give out an top-of-the-lung cry of "Rat!" like some little kid who just had somebody steal his lollipop.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

[Edited by David Emerling on Mar 21st, 2005 at 04:08 PM]