Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Since this is umpiring ...

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Dave:

I am just confused as to how your advice could be implimented.

Balks,as balls and strikes, are not an issue that can be argued.

As you could not enter the field to talk with me it seems impossible to use your trap in a game where real umpires umpire.

Seems like this should be a private e-mail between rats.
It gets implemented in exactly the way I described it.

If the umpire is having "none of it." The case is closed and no argument can be made. In that regard, you're right. After all, it is a judgment call - as you said.

You're probably a darn good umpire, Tim. So, naturally, you have a difficult time relating to this. First of all, you probably wouldn't make a gross rule misapplication. Secondly, you probably have the game management skills to cover your mistakes - as all good umpires have.

So, in that regard, you're right. You would never be in this situation.

But, would you consider this: Not all umpires are nearly as good as you? And, not all umpires would be able to conceal their incompetence beneath a veneer of "game management" skills?

I know this is a particularly hard pill for you to swallow, but there is a little psychology involved when a person is trying to get "their way" with an individual who is predisposed to not allow them to have "their way." This is just the dynamics of athletic competition and does not need to be characterized as being "sleazy" or "cheating" or "rat like."

When I umpire, I'm frequently aware when there is an attempt to manipulate or intimidate me. I don't let it bother me. I just recognize it for what it is and defuse it.

In the situation we are discussing, YOU would defuse by never having the discussion with the coach. That would work!

The fact of the matter is that judgment plays can be converted to rule issues if the umpire gets too chatty.

A example to highlight this fact:

Example: The batter hits a screaming shot that rings off the foul pole. The umpire rules it foul. Can there possibly any call that is more of a judgment call than whether a ball is fair or foul? Yet, if the coach inquires and the umpire categorically states that the ball did, in fact, hit the foul pole, and it is because of that that he ruled it foul. The "foul pole" is in foul territory.

Do you know of a rules committee or tournament director in the world that would not overrule such silliness?

I don't see how this is much different than an umpire who calls a balk on a pitcher who executes a pickoff from the windup specifically because the pitcher failed to first step off the rubber.

"Why is it a balk, Blue?"

"The pitcher must first step off the rubber before executing any pickoff move from the windup position?"

"And that's the only reason it was a balk?"

"Yes."

Bzzzzt!

Now, the tournament director would be free to say, "I can't overrule a judgment call." That's fine. But a team who would have such a gross injustice levied upon them would, at least, deserve to have it addressed. If nothing else, the umpire will never make that mistake again.

But, in answer to inquiry who this could ever be implemented ... I have done exactly this on several occasions over the years.

An umpire once awarded an opposing batter first for being hit with a pitch that bounced on the ground, struck the batter, while the batter was chasing it in a bunt attempt. I got the umpire to state that the batter did, in fact attempt to bunt the pitch, but since he missed the pitch, and it hit him - he is awarded 1st.

"So, in your opinion, the batter did attempt to bunt the pitch?"

"Yes. But the ball still hit him."

Bzzzzt!

We protested. The tournament director showed up and when the umpire told him what he told me (What else could he do?), the runner was promptly returned to the plate with a strike added to the count.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Since this is an umpiring board, this is a good opportunity for young umpires to see how coaches think - always trying to get an edge.

And, a good lesson for young umpires - only offer rule book information. When a coach asks for information, use the rule book, don't tell him what you think happened.

Example - the play about the kid bunting. No coach he did not offer at the pitch, he was simply trying to get out of the way of the ball.

In other words, I'm not going to bail out the pitcher who threw a horrible pitch simply because the coach wants an explaination.

There are many many times during the season there will be plays that I can't explain exactly what happened - so I don't try.

Another example - Saturday game and kid is struggling with his pitching mechanics. But, he's still legal.
Suddenly coach says, he can't do that and calls time.

He told me he was on the mound and then changed to the set without stepping off. My comment, "coach I didn't see it." I asked PU, same comment. Game goes on no problem.

I didn't see the kid do anything wrong, but I'm not going to try and argue with the coach.

Thanks
David