View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 29, 2001, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Re: Sure Trip to Bronco ball 1 man games

Well around where I've called Bronco was pretty serious baseball and we always used a two or three man crew.

So that's not so bad of a place to learn.

As far as the positioning, our local group recommends B position and I teach that position because that's what the state wants.

However, in the summer I often move to C. Haven't heard a snip from any coaches.

The only coaches who will be complaining (IMHO) will be if the umpire in C is not paying attention and misses the obvious calls.

I mean it's just not that hard to call a pick off whether you are in B, C, D the stands or getting a drink at the concessions.

Thanks
David

Quote:
Originally posted by BJ Moose
And then, some work in the real world of high level amateur baseball (kids that shave).

Let's follow the career of the ambitious umpire working his way up the political ladder of his large association. Lets watch him make 1st base pickoff calls from "C" with R1 only. It won't matter a hoot if they are RIGHT or WRONG... all we know is the managers will notice the umpire a mile away from the play and hoot and hollar and have a spastic fit. And after hearing that "I have a better angle", will be tossed due to their expletive deleted response.

And our hero will work 1 or 2 more Senior Babe or Connie Mack games... then, mysteriously, will only find himself assigned to 1 man Bronco games in OuterEastJesus. Have you ever seen the Mom's in OuterEastJesus? Yee gods....

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
That's why I recommend that the umpire with R1 belongs in C! Try it.

You'll note that you have a much better ANGLE on the pick-off at first.