View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's it, stop right there. This should be the end of the meeting.
Ye, Mike I do agree with you, that should be the end of the meeting. I wish that the teams would know and follow the rules, but most of the Men's Rec leagues that I work don't take game/rules/umpires/etc. enough to go by the book, and the leagues and UIC's here don't care. Also, many of the leagues I work are beer leagues, so I'm dealing with various levels of sobriety, too. Until I'm able to work HS FP, that's what I have to deal with.

Unfortunately most teams and most umpires here don't know and/or don't enforce these three particular rules/guidelines. If the teams are not advised of, or reminded about them, then they invariably will occur during the game. I find that the ten seconds it takes me to say, "Three warmup pitches, or one minute between innings, no thrown bats, and keep all of your euqipment and players behind your bench" during pregame saves me alot of time and hassle that would otherwise happen later. I've tried it both ways, and it's clearly much easier to umpire and prevent problems by stating those three up front.