View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Just curious

Quote:
Originally posted by 3appleshigh
Am I the only one who has a balk on that last post, If they step back with left foot off the rubber, they are pitching now. They can disengage generally with Right foot first (righty pitcher), dropping the hands, they can step directly toward the base, and if it is first must throw, and they can pitch. What you discribed to me sounds like a balk.

Remember must step directly at the base, back would be toward 2nd, someone better be there, and if you stepped back, I don't think I 'd by that as directly toward the bag even if someone was there. I need to know you are not pitching, so a step toward second would turn your body toward that bag. Otherwise, I got a balk. If you step directly toward first and pause, i got a balk. If you stepbackwards and pause (with left first) I got a balk. If you step back with left to disengage, i got a balk (unless your a lefty) This is not a simple move and there are way more ways to balk than do it right, this is why most people step off properly.
No, you are just the first to pounce on this. If a right handed pitcher steps back with his left foot and does not complete the pitching motion with a pitch he has balked. If a right handed batter has his hands together in front and raises them (simulating pitch) while stepping back with his right foot he has balked. If a right handed pitcher standing on the rubber with both feet were to step directly to 1st and throw this would not be a balk in OBR. You don't see this move in higher levels because it would never work. At 11 year old level it might work, but coach should have rule book in hand to discuss with the umpires who may not know the rule, and you still may not win. Best to teach the players how to pitch from the set and forget about this.