View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewm
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
If I'm interpreting this correctly, I can see how a right handed pitcher could attempt a pickoff to 1B from the windup, or a lefty to 3B. Basically just step with the free foot directly to the base and throw. But what about a righty to 3B (or lefty to 1B)? Do you have to step with free foot first (step across your body and turn to throw) or can you step with the pivot foot first (and do a kinda snap throw)? What about a hop move to 2B or 3B (for righty, 1B for lefty)?
Yes, the pitcher needs to step with the free foot.
So a hop move is legal? [/B]
If it complies with the requirements in rule 8, yes.

I don't mean that answer to be obtuse. But, your definition of "hop move" might differ from mine, and from the umpire's at your game.

Also, recognize that many (most?) umpires at the youth level are either just learning or just "filling in". Even if they have as much experience as you do, they may also believe many of the 40 myths.

If you're really interested in learning the pitching rules, buy the Jim Evans Balk video. If you're really interested in helping out the umpires, donate it to the umpire association and make it required viewing before working any games in which lead-offs (and balks) are allowed.