View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

My first thought coach is to direct you to the rulebook:

OBR 8.01

There are two legal pitching positions, the Windup Position and the Set Position, and either position may be used at any time. Pitchers shall take signs from the catcher while standing on the rubber.

(a)The Windup Position.

The pitcher shall stand facing the batter, his entire pivot foot on, or in front of and touching and not off the end of the pitcherÂ’s plate, and the other foot free. From this position any natural movement associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without interruption or alteration. He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot.
When a pitcher holds the ball with both hands in front of his body, with his entire pivot foot on, or in front of and touching but not off the end of the pitcherÂ’s plate, and his other foot free, he will be considered in the Windup Position. [edit]

From this position he may:
(1)deliver the ball to the batter, or
(2)step and throw to a base in an attempt to pick-off a runner, or
(3)disengage the rubber(if he does he must drop his hands to his sides).

My second thought is to ask why is it that many coaches who most likely wouldn't play Scrabble without knowing the rules will take on the responsibility of teaching kids baseball without knowing the rules?

If you can't find a rule book nearby, email me privately and I'll send you one, free of charge.