View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a coach on a 11AA USSSA team (OBR). I was reading through some common rule explanations on eteamz baseball rules page and came across some balk explanations. I was caught off guard when I read that a pitcher may attempt a pick off from the windup without stepping of the rubber. I, and none of the other coaches, have never seen a pitcher attempt a pickoff move from the windup without stepping off first. It seemed common knowledge that as soon as the pitcher made a move with the free foot that he had to go to the plate. After reading this rule, we appear to be wrong.

Am I reading this correctly? A pitcher from the windup (both heals on the rubber, facing the catcher, hands together in front) can step directly to a base in a pickoff attempt? The one caveat I saw stipulated that the pitcher cannot start any movement associated with his normal delivery to the plate before attempting a pickoff. So, in the pitcher's normal delivery to the plate, his free foot must step backwards and not to the side. If his free foot steps to the side in a normal delivery to the plate, it would be a balk if he stepped to the side in a pickoff attempt, correct?

If I'm interpreting this correctly, I can see how a right handed pitcher could attempt a pickoff to 1B from the windup, or a lefty to 3B. Basically just step with the free foot directly to the base and throw. But what about a righty to 3B (or lefty to 1B)? Do you have to step with free foot first (step across your body and turn to throw) or can you step with the pivot foot first (and do a kinda snap throw)? What about a hop move to 2B or 3B (for righty, 1B for lefty)?

This opens up a whole realm of possiblities for picking off or holding baserunners close.

Any thoughts?