View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Good discussion with the AD, and I liked most of what you wrote, Bart. But I think you're wrong about perceiving bias in the original questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Your question would have been better served had you asked it in a non bias way. "First off, how does an AD have time to do his job and travel around the country as an official?"

I don't think this is a biased question at all. I think it's perfectly legitimate. How does any big-time D1 official work games 4-5 nights a week and hold down a full-time job?

The answer, of course, is exactly what you told the AD: it's really none of our business. The official worked it out with his/her employer and that's that. But it is an interesting question, in its own right.

Quote:
"Secondly, how does the NCAA allow this apparent conflict of interest?"
This seems more biased b/c it assumes that there is an apparent conflict of interest. But that's not a completely unrealistic assumption. It's not quite as clear in Hartzell's case, but someone completely unfamiliar with the man or the situation might conclude that there is at least the appearance of a conflict.

JMO, as always.