Thread: double teaming
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

I ref in a YMCA League that has this Rule. First, I think it is helpful in the 7-8 Grade Level and below. It gives young kids a chance to play before Coaches turn the Game into hockey by running trapping presses.

The downside is that Coaches harp that anytime a kid turns it over..."He was double-teamed"! The Coaches start screaming.....then the kids pick it up and the whole game degenerates into finger pointing.

The Rule is meant to apply to a strong kid leaving his man and overtly trapping a weaker player who is already defended. I explain to Coaches that it should not interfere with good Team Defense, i.e., sagging off weakside offensive players.

When the Y adopted this Rule years ago, there were 5 Exceptions on the Double-Team Rule:

1. Fast break
2. Offensive rebound
3. Loose ball
4. Defensive switch
5. Offensive player dribbles into area of Second Defensive Player. And Second Defender swips he ball. (Happens most often.)

I never call it unless it an overt Double-team Trap. (I take a lot of HEAT, too.) If Coaches try clear-outs.....I let the defenders sag all they want to. To do otherwise, violates good basketball.

Nothing's perfect.