View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

I have worked 3 to 6 games per night during the week this past month. Of all the rules there are to argue about, earrings seems to be the most popular. (Rule 3-5-2) I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but how many of you guys out there allow players to wear their earrings, with or without tape over them? I refuse to allow it. The rule simply says "no jewelry", there's no footnote that says "a player may put tape over the earrings provided that he/she 'just-got-them-pierced-yesterday' and can make you believe that mitosis can occur in an hour and a half." When I tell coaches the mitosis theory they give me a blank look that tells me they secretly wish they had a biology-book glossary.
Well of all the responses I will share with you my latest chuckle: I asked a freshman girl to go sit on the bench and remove her earrings. She is substituted out and comes in during the next dead ball, with tape clinging to three or four "new" piercings. I immeadiatly told her " I'm sorry I failed to mention this before, but you cannot just put tape over them". So her coach comes over and says "It says in the rules that you can tape them". I said "the AIA (Arizona..) rules do not say that anywhere" as I lightly tugged at the patch on my jersey. He says "no not the AIA rules, the REGULAR rules, HSNF or whatever."--he threw in a G and some other vowel in his attempt to abbreviate NFHS. I had to hide my giggle when I told him "same difference". He wasn't even a rookie coach. So until I experience a better laugh, I am taking a survey on how many allow, how many do not allow. responses appreciated....thanks