View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

This year I called my first T for running out of bounds. I also called my last. I believe the call was correct by rule. But I also agree with the coach who pointed out that the penalty is too harsh. It is a potentially 6 point game altering call (take away a possession, give two shots and the ball) for relatively a minor infraction.

I also only saw one other official call it all year. Where does that leave me as an official? If everybody were enforcing it, everybody would adjust. But everybody is not enforcing it, so I'm am now that hard-*** guy who makes clueless game-changing calls for minor infractions. No thank you.

So add these two items to the list:
* Sometimes the penalty is way to harsh for the infraction
* There is danger in being the only guy who calls something

In regards to the first point, look at what happened with the swinging elbows thing. The rules committee put in a rule making it a T and wanted it enforced. We all thought it was too harsh of a penalty and didn't call it. They reconsidered, made it a violation, and it's called a lot more often now. By our refusal to enforce the draconian penalty, we've had a mitigating influence on the game as it has evolved.