View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Proper Enforcement

Quote:
Originally posted by KWH
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
...What I am getting at is the play described does not meet the new rule at all...
MJT-
I agree with you in 2004!
However this particular play was discussed at the January Rules Committee Meeting and the answer was "this is I.P., if he comes on to the field, he participated, period!"
Furthermore, the conflicting rules (such as 9-8-1i) will be ammended to reflect the change! The goal was to remove any and all judgement (such as; Did the action have any affect on the play?) from the officials with the idea of simplification, consistant officiating and rules enforcement.

Sideline control has been a point of emphasis for several years now and the NFHS is continuing down that same road with this move. The NFHS wants the sidelines cleaned up! Think about it for a minute, if this play happened and the flag was thrown, and the touchdown taken away, do you think there is any chance that another B player would encroach on the sideline again??? Maybe the "get back coaches" would be forced to actually do their jobs! I suggest this information gets to the coaches in their preseason league meetings and in your 2005 pregame coaches meeting.

It was also made abundantly clear at the rules committee meeting that they need CASE PLAYS in the case book that properly reflect these new changes.
I personally am going to submit this particular play to the "July NFHS Football Rules Interpreters" meeting (I will also be in attendance) for consideration of one of the case plays to be placed on the NFHS website for 2005. We'll see how far I can get!

Now that I have stood on my NFHS soap box (for too long) let me take off my NFHS hat, place my white hat on my head and say this: If you are ever in that situation, Don't throw that dad gummed flag! However, do have that little short reminder chat with the coach at the next opportunity...
So you are saying the NF wants us to call a live ball IP foul anytime we throw a flag for a nonplayer stepping on the field. I can see a nonplayer coming onto the field to be involved in the play, even if he does not influence it, cuz it takes the judgement off of us, but if they step off the sideline as well??? I will have to see a case play similar to what you asked to make that call. Like I said, probably a "no call" anyway, but if we do call it, we need to know what the proper call is. I hope they answer this specific play for us to look at. Where and when is the July NFHS Football Rules Interpreters meeting anyway? Who goes, and is it open to the general public, us normal officials, or by invitation only.?