View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 04:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey

Joe, the rules aren't flexible. There aren't two possibilities in this case. Bottom line, both the NCAA and NFHS rule sets says that you can't put the 0.6 seconds back on the clock.

It's never a good idea to ignore plainly written rules just because you don't agree with them. That practice can get yourself in deep doo-doo That's not a flame, either. [/B][/QUOTE]

JR,

Am I reading 5.10.1.B incorrectly? Even though the play has time running out, I think the comment is referring to any time the official blows his whistle AND THEN glances at the clock, it is interpreted to have taken him 1 second for him to do so.

Forget about time running out. Chuck blows his whistle AND THEN glances at clock and he notices the clock at .6, then he must have blown his whistle at 1.6 (by interpretation).

Straighten me out on this.

Mulk [/B][/QUOTE]Chuck said that he was actually watching the clock when the ball went in. That's when his partner's whistle blew for the TO. The case book cite covering the play where the official is already watching the clock is 5.10.1SitD(a)(b).

If Chuck wasn't watching the clock and subsequently had to glance at it when he heard the whistle, then case book play 5.10.1SitB would have been applicable and he would have had to put the 0.6 seconds back up.

The difference in the two plays is whether or not the official is looking at the clock when the whistle blows. The act of looking at the clock after the whistle blows is supposed to take one second, as per the COMMENT after 5.10.1SitB.

Make sense now?