View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Re: ALL-BUT-ONE PRINCIPLE

Quote:
Originally posted by KWH
Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge

My assumption: It's A's ball 1st and 50 from the A35.
ALL-BUT-ONE PRINCIPLE
Since the rule change now requires the act by A is to be penalized as Illegal Partcipation, and this is a foul be the offense behind the basic spot, the foul is then enforced from the spot of the foul.
You are correct, 1st and 50 on the A35.

FYI- This change (and the other changes that it effects) were discussed at length at rules committee meeting in January. While they were certainly not unanimous, it did pass with more than a majority. Therefore, right, wrong or indifferent that is the way it is to be enforced in 2005.

Consider this play:
B1 intercepts A1's forward pass in A's endzone and returns it unmolested 104 yards up the B sideline for an apparrant TD. After B1 (still near the sidline) has ran by and passed his team box, several non-players of B step on to the field to watch the TD. The Umpire, (who by this time has recovered and has made it all the way out to the A-15) observes this illegal? activity by the B bench and throws his flag. The Umpire then reports that the B bench was on the field at the 50 prior to B1 crossing the goal line!
Unless you are running up the sideline, and taken out, you had better not throw that flag. I think your supervisor would shoot you if you did. That is a team member being out of the team box "at best", so the TD counts, and enforce on the try. By your writing of illegal? I am assuming you are thinking the same as I am. No foul.

Remember the intent of the rule. To take back a TD, for such a minor factor would be a horrible thing to do.