View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Hey all...first time I've ever posted on here so go easy.

Doing AAU games last night, 1st of 4 middle school level. Smooth game, absolutely no problems. Get to under 30 seconds in the 4th, Team A down 1. Team B has possession and running out the clock, Team A Coach is now yelling from the bench "Foul! Foul! Foul!." I'm the lead table side, ball rotates down into my corner. A24 comes to B1 and two hand shoves B1 in the back, no play on the ball. I immediately signal an intentional...go to the table and signal again, both coaches from Team A go crazy..."how can that be an intentional foul" and what not. Coach does not even let me explain the call, so after about him screaming for about 10 seconds, I stop sign him. He continues, I put the whistle in my mouth and he gets the hint to shut up.

After the FTs for the foul, Coach A calls time out. As I go to administer the throw in underneath, A31, before I even administer the throw in, is holding B2 by the jersey..and when I say holding, I mean he's got a fist full of jersey and not hiding it..basically his arm is fully extended grabbing the jersey. I walk up to him, tell him to let go of the jersey, and then administer the throw in. As soon as I hand the ball to the inbounder, B2 breaks for the ball and A31, again fully extended, grabs B2 by the back numbers and pulls him backwards. I immediately come up with another intentional. Team A Coaches go completely ballistic on this one, and the head coach meets me about halfway to the table on the floor..he got out "What the HE**" WHACK! Here comes the asst. behind him and he gets nose to nose with me before I even know what happens..so I pin him. Now mind you, I haven't even gotten to the table yet. I tell them both to get back to the bench..they refuse and the asst. is still nose to nose. I gave him about 5 more seconds and one more "get back to the bench." I go to walk away and the asst. follows me..enough is enough and I toss him. But I immediately realized that now the head coach is done too (1 direct, plus 2 indirects)..no more coaches, game over. BTW, head coach followed the asst when I tossed the asst., and either one of them would have warranted the ejection.

As my partner and I go to where we have our bags (AAU games..no locker rooms), the asst. continues to berate me. Calling me a punk a$$ kid who doesn't know the rules because an intentional foul is only when there is intent to hurt and that the penalty for an intentional foul is not 2 shots and the ball, but should have been a 1-on-1 instead, I cost his team the game, yada yada yada. I just sat on the bleachers calm as can be and fought a fool with silence.

Of course I didn't want to end the game like that, especially in such a close and well-played game. Anyone see anything that I could have done differently? Sorry so long guys..like I said...1st post! Oh and finally..I still haven't gotten to the table to report the original intentional.