View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbyron
Using the "will this explanation please the coaches" test is not a reliable method for ruling on these situations. I'd recommend another test: "is every player doing what the rules permit or require him to do?" Of course, this test is harder to apply, since it requires you to know the rules.

true, we are not there to please coaches, but a wise coach will expect a call if his runner is called out after contact with a fielder, especially when his runner was doing his job. I situation A, catcher is attempting to make a play by moving toward the ball (which as stated is only approximately 10 feet away). Catcher moves into the path of runner, knocking runner to the ground, then retrieves ball before runner can reach base--tagged out. If I am the offensive coach and you allow the out to stand, then you will be ejecting me!! I understand that the catcher is not intentionally trying to knock down runner, his focus is on the ball, but on the other hand, the runner is doing his job and has been restricted (by the contact) of safely reaching the base.

In situation B, catcher is waiting for the ball when contact occurs. Looking at this through FED eyes, at which point do we have runner interference, only when catcher actually has possession of the ball? Five feet away? Book only states "while making a play".

In your cases, the fielder is making a play because he's about to receive the ball in order to tag a runner. If he's in the baseline and the ball is NOT on the way, then contact might be grounds for an obstruction call; but that's not how you described it.

Not all contact is an infraction, even when the contact causes injury.
So, if fielder is making a play we have interference? Which stiuation are you refering to? I understand that if the ball is not on the way we have grounds for obs, but that is not the situation presented.

Bottom line is how do we determine "while making a play". Is anyone out there that can give me a straight answer to that question? With all of the brain power on this site, surely someone can give me something to work with.

Finally, in situation C, it is not a bad throw, I is a ploy to draw the runner at 3rd. Good coaches have a numer of methods to deal with the 1st and 3rd situation. One is to throw directly to 2nd. If 2B steps inadvertly into the path of runner "attempting to make a play", then we have to determine whether it is obs or interference. A no call seems inappropriate. If runner achieved position and the 2B runs into him, we have obs?

I understand that contact happens. I understand that we do not always make a call. Help me to better understand when we should.