View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Found It!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Yes I'm sure there are laws that protect officials in CA, Luv4Asian8. I don't know where you could find them however.
One thing, I think you did a good job defusing the situation however if anybody comes out of the stands comes to the table (and accuses me of cheating) it's going to cost them a trip to the parking lot.
Geez, I must be losing it. I also forgot to mention it was a 7th grade tournament.

Anyway, I found it! Being a law student really helps!

California Penal Code Section 243.8 provides: (a) When a battery is committed against a sports official immediately prior to, during, or immediately following an interscholastic, intercollegiate, or any other organized amateur or professional athletic contest in which the sports official is participating, and the person who commits the offense knows or reasonably should know that the victim is engaged in the performance of his or her duties, the offense shall be punishable by a fine not exceeding Two Thousand Dollars ($2,000), or by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment. (b) For the purposes of this section, "sports official" means nay individual who serves as a referee, umpire, linesman, or who serves in similar capacity but may be known by a different title or name and is duly registered by, or a member of a local, state, regional or national organization engaged in part in providing education and training to sports officials.

Still need a chance to read the above situations, but gotta run to the midterm!

Thanks!

$2,000? A measly $2,000? I always figured if somebody confronted me I'd tell them to go ahead and hit me because I'd love to have them pay off my house. I guess I'd to sue for that.

It also sounds like the law doesn't cover people who don't belong to an association of some sort. What about the kids umpiring summer baseball or guys who just work rec ball? What about college kids working intramural ball? Does their employment qualify them as belong to an "organization engaged in part in ...."Seems like it potentially leaves a lot of officials uncovered. Maybe they should be encourage to join NASO or some similar organization, just to get covered?