View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
My Situation Last Weekend

Hi All, it has been a while since I've been on. I haven't read the above situations yet, but I will after my midterm tonight. I just wanted to forward my experience regarding this matter that I emailed my mentor.

*~*~*~*

I was doing an all-day tournament on Sunday. The second game of the day, with approximately one minute left in the last quarter, I went to check my table for routine foul checks, time-outs, etc. A parent came to the table and blantantly accused me of cheating. I gave him the opportunity to leave, including putting a stop sign in his face, and let the site administrator know the situation. He left the table and returned to the stands. The administrator "kept his eye on him" for the remainder of the game. After the game, which the parent's team won in overtime, I was talking to the administrator in more detail about the situation when the parent approached the both of us, again at the table. He was saying how he felt disrespected when I "stop signed" him and if we wanted to "step outside." I'm thinking to myself, "What the *&^*???" On top of that, the administrator was frozen. I repeatedly told him he was not to be at the table. He then said to me, "If you apologize to me, I'll apologize to you." While I was fuming inside, I felt that that was the easiest and safest way out of a bad situation that could have gotten worst. So, I did apologize (though, im NOT sorry), and so did he, and he left. When I talked to my table crew, they were telling me how ready they were to call University Police. Too late now (admittedly, probably my fault too). I told all the "uppers," including the assignors, league district bureaucrats...and I got the same answer, "You should not have to put up with that; we'll take it up at the next board meeting, etc etc." Quite honestly, it was not very comforting.

I know I should have ejected him for even being at the table, not even having an exchange with him in the first place. But I remembered what a college official said to us during one of our meetings, "Don't make a mountain out of a mull hill." Like I said, this situation could have gotten a whole lot worst than a verbal exchange. Though I did not feel threatened (I can take care of myself), I know that it was a direct threat, not only physically, but towards my integrity. I also remembered one thing you (mentor) told us, "We're so worried about getting it right, it would impossible for us to cheat."

My question is this. I know that there are special laws protecting sports officials exclusively. But as an official, how much may I defend myself, besides a threat against my life? Stipes on or off. Especially when an administrator does nothing! Thank God it did not go that far. We talked a lot about legal liabilities in our meeting that we officials face. But, I just wanted to know and be prepared for anything, including the ability to explain to these people the criminal penalties for threatening a sports official.

*~*~*~*~*

Look forward to your feedback.
Thanks All!