View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
We stood in the doorway, and my first instinct was to turn and run - after all, fans and refs mixing after a game has "disaster" written all over it, right?

Should I have gone with my first instinct and left, so there wouldn't be any problems?
It isn't at all unusual for me to hang around to watch a varsity game after a JV game I officiate, and I do a lot of them. To this point, no one has said a thing to me. I do make it a point, however, to keep a low profile, staying away from the crowd as much as I can.

I have had a few conversations with coaches afterward. All very pleasant. This I'm even more careful of. Only once have I initiated the contact. Not a good idea, I know, but it didn't blow up in my face.

I fully expect to employ the "get in, get done, get out" philosophy when it seems like the crowd/coaches/players are particularly hostile. In most cases, I find it as you did, and see no need to be in a hurry to leave.

I'm sure it is different in certain areas, and for varsity games. Or maybe I'm just pushing my luck.