View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

According to FED rule, interference or obstruction.

a) catcher moves up 3rd base line to catch ball while runner approaches home. Ball is approx 10 feet from catcher when contact occurs. Catcher is moving toward ball at the time of impact.
b) same situation but in this case catcher is not moving at time of impact (standing in the baseline) but is up the third base line approx 4-5 feet from home

c)R1 and R3, R1 steals. 2B moves forward from fielding position to recieve ball from catcher (defense is trying to decoy R3 to advance home). As ball is in flight, R1 and 2B collide. It appears that 2B stepped into the path of R1. Thrown ball goes into RF, as R1 and 2B lie on the field.

Please correct me, but I see situation A as obstruction on the catcher, but situation B as interference. This is based on the notion that in A the catcher intiated the contact, but in B the runner did.

My confusion with this rule is how do we determine "attempting to make a play"? Reading rule 2-21-1a, offensive interference should be called anytime the defensive team is restricted from attempting to make a play.

Situation C seems to be obstruction. I would simply award R1 second and allow (not award) R3 to advance home. However, since it is a delayed dead ball, if the RF were sharp and charged the ball and threw out R3 at the plate, then we would have an out with no run scored.