Thread: Wake-NC State
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

By rule, I do not believe the "knock to the jewels" to be a reviewable offense. The only time a replay monitor may be used in this instance is to "determine if a fight occurred, the individuals who participated and bench personnel who left the bench area." (Appendix III, 6-4)

One of the most recent NCAA bulletins on Feb. 14 states that "When using the monitor for a purpose permitted by the rules, the official can only verify that which was directly related to the purpose. Anyhting else that is discovered while using a monitor shall not penalized."

This clarification was issued as there were instances where officials were reviewing replays to determine if fights had occurred, discovering intentional or flagrant fouls that led to the fight and penalizing those fouls as well. The NCAA stated that those fouls cannot be penalized if discovered on replay. I think it would be a stretch to suggest that Paul's actions, while clearly in retrospect could have been called a flagrant foul, were subject to review. I don't see how the officials could make the case they were reviewing a fight. It would have to be penalized by an official witnessing it during live action.

[Edited by ShadowStripes on Mar 7th, 2005 at 12:51 PM]