View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
First, as an ardent supporter of President Bush, I should say that I am thoroughly embarassed by some of the actions of someone who would use his name as a moniker. I have to agree with Snaq on this one, show some respect; even if you do disagree.

On another note, I am from VA, so I don't quite understand the situation. How are the conferences determined in IL? I mean, is it largely goegraphic, like here? I am assuming that these schools are all public schools. If that is is the case, then I would imagine that the racial make-up of the schools is determined by the surrounding population. Now, for as long has history has been able to record, people tend to live with others who are most like themselves. Is this racism? I don't think so. It is certainly prejudice, but not necessarily racism. Also, are the predominately African-American schools clamoring to keep the predominately Caucasian schools part of the conference? What are the consequences of them leaving? And since this obviously relates to officiating, how are the officials assigned to these schools? Do the schools choose the officials, or is there an association that does the assigning for them? If the schools do the assigning, I would shutter to think that they would choose their officials based on race.

I find the topic interesting because it is not something that I see where I am. Most of the schools where I am are public, and there is roughly one school per county, so the schools are pretty diverse. On top of that, the athletic districts are determined by school population. The problem that we run into here is student population issues (i.e. big schools v. little schools), not really demographic issues.