Old Sat Jun 23, 2001, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Re: I feel your pain.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by peter_s_n
peter,
I struggled with those locally available indiclickers, also.
Maybe there is a reason, and one of the esteemed members of this forum can give a reason for that setup.
I'm not all that esteemed, but I'll give you my theory.

When you show the count to the pitcher, you do it with your palms forward. When you hold the indicator correctly in your left hand, and show the count, the strikes are properly on the right side and the balls are properly on the left.

I use the indicator that you guys say you dislike. I've used that style for twenty years. I have one that I've been using for 15 years straight. The numbers are worn off, but that doesn't matter to me.

A local guru showed me a trick. I believe Jack Clark is credited with being the first to introduce the following trick on the Internet.

I have cut grooves in the wheels at all the zeroes. That way, I can feel the indicator to reset it. I never look at it. The grooves are wide enough so that I can still feel them after one click and before they disappear into the body of the indicator. So, essentially, I can feel when there are no strikes, one strike, no balls, and one ball. From there, the rest is easy. You can take it a step further and use a file to smooth the grooves for ball two. I don't find that necessary.

The only reason I look at my indicator now is for the inning. That only needs to be done seldomly between half-innings.

Save your dough on that new braille indicator. Just make your own.