View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Angry

In addition to being a coach and (mostly former) official, I am a high school athletic director. Last night, at another school, I witnessed a very ugly situation following a grade school (5th grade) girls game in which a game official was assaulted by supporters of one of the teams. The incident quickly became a melee involving a number of adults and at least one high-school aged student. The AD at the host school is a friend of mine, so I helped manage the situation; it wasn't pretty.

I know some states have adopted laws in which assaulting a sports official is an immediate felony. Do any of you no whether that is the case in Illinois, and, if so, could you point me to the relevant statute?

In a side comment, most high school officials are quick to get out of the heated situation after a contentious finish. While it certainly wasn't this official's fault that the situation arose, once it looked like it would die down, he did re-ignite it by attacking one of the fans who'd allegedly struck him. It reminded me of the importance for officials to make every effort to get some physical separation from angry fans and coaches at the end of each game.

Finally, please - if you know who I am or where this happened, please do not reveal it. There was absolutely no fault or negligence on the part of the host school, and the game staff managed the situation professionally and efficiently. No need for this to be a black eye on the school - their people did a great job in a difficult situation. I just want to know if anyone here knows the law in this matter.