View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 23, 2001, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Thought I'd share this with everyone. I ended up doing a slowpitch tournament a couple weeks ago. In one of the games, we ran into an illegal sub situation after an ejection. 'Course these guys never provided lineup cards - and I doubt they knew what a lineup card was - and they weren't required (invitational tournament) to run all subs through the PU. So my PU & BU were unable to confirm who had or had not been into the game. Turns out that neither team was keeping a book. I got into this when the one team's captain/coach - he made sure to tell me he was also an ump & knew the rules inside & out - said he was protesting. I ruled that since there were no lineup cards and nether team had a valid book, that there was no proof of an illegal sub, so everyone was legally in the lineup. The captain/coach (he's an ump, too ROFL) sez he's protesting higher & we can't go on until his protest is handled. My response - he's got me a bit irritated by this time - was "OK, you have 5 minutes to come into compliance with Rule 9, Section 6. And I will accept a verbal from you rather than require anything in writing." His response was "Rule 9, Section 6?!?!?! What's that say." "Time's clicking off here coach. You said you're an ump and you don't know this?" After the 5 minutes, I went back & told him & th umps that his protest was tossed out and the game should now resume.