View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Tim C is right. Somebody is making money at CDP (I look around the park and think "$500 for every kid here" - less expenses of course)- and the umpires work games for free (though you are supplied with a couple shirts, a jacket, a hat, a T-shirt, pins to trade, a ticket to the Baseball HOF and the transportation system, and FREE camp-type food).

But not everything is about money. When you go to a clinic where you work live games, somebody is making money - and the umpires work for free. What you get out of CDP and clinics is not money - but intangibles - like networking, observing other umpires work, help with your game from a fresh set of eyes.

Not everybody has the experience I did at CDP - but let me tell you about it. I stayed in touch with four other guys from my bunk. A few years later, one had worked a Little League Regional, one has worked his way up to NCAA baseball, one was a professional umpire in an Independent Minor League - and also a NCAA basketball referee, and one was a professional umpire in the Affiliated Minor Leagues.

Through these contacts, I have worked games in California, Virginia, and Florida. I have met at least 15 Major League Umpires, had dinner in the houses of two of them, visited a couple of major league umpire locker rooms, met at least 30 minor league umpires, and been in numerous minor league umpire locker rooms. I have been to spring training in Florida and Arizona - having dinner with the minor league crews in both places. I have had both major and minor league umpires leave me tickets to games (one was an opening day - sold out). More importantly, I have been able to get personal advice on my umpiring - sitting down with professional umpires and reviewing tapes of my games. I have been able to work numerous games with my friends and got their insight into how I can get better at umpiring.

Through my friends' help, I have improved to where I worked a HS State Semi-final this year and, the highlight of my career, subbed in the Minor Leagues. With their help (and lists like Tim's "10 things not to do"), I hope I can continue improving.

All this started with Cooperstown Dreams Park. On other visits I have made to CDP I have met two other umpires that went on to be professional umpires in the Affiliated Minor Leagues. I have also met several NCAA Division I umpires.

There is certainly a wide variety of umpires at CDP. Most are like me - an amateur that enjoys doing little kid ball because it feels different (I also enjoy doing big kid ball). The excitement of 10-12 year olds playing a game. Even their tears when things don't go right. It is a purer form of the GAME of baseball. Don't get me wrong - there is certainly a place for the BUSINESS of baseball. But what happens on the field at CDP is a GAME.

Tim also mentioned that Terry isn't employed by CDP anymore. Terry was certainly the "best guy there from the ownership." But it was his job to be the best guy (not trying to say he wouldn't have been if it wasn't his job). In 2005 there will be another Umpire Coordinator - and he may or may not be as good as Terry - we will see. It is also my understanding that Terry will be coming back to CDP to umpire one week - so obviously his leaving was not adversarial.

And Tim is right - some umpires at CDP form exclusive groups that exclude others (though I have never experienced this at CDP). But that is not CDP's fault - that is the fault of the umpires that decide to exclude others. Unfortunately, that's not unusual in a large group of people.

While I respect Tim's right to not want to go to CDP, my visits have certainly helped my career. The way I look at - I "used" CDP to help my career - if not my wallet.

Walter