View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 06:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Even if a coaches box is not marked, you can still manage the coach in an area. "Your coaching box tonight is from that first chair to the 12th chair coach. Please stay in it." When officials mention the coaches box in the pregame conference with the coach, the coach is immediately aware that you are going to be monitoring it.

You don't have to call a T every time a coach steps out of the box. If you monitor it and just give them that "knowing look" and wave them back in, they'll realize that you are one of those aware officials and they'll soon be managing themselves. If you do it subtly, you can avoid embarrassing the coach and you can also manage it by yourself even if your partner is one of those "I don't care about the coaching box" officials.

Z
I am not big on the use of the coaching box either. If a coach steps out and starts yelling outside of that box, you can always use the box as a tool to get what you want them to do. If the court is not marked your idea is not going to get consistent application. One of the problems is if I do that one night, they might not get that the next night. I think our state should make it clear which courts are properly marked. It is not a major concern or issue, but all it takes is that one time to have a problem.

Peace