View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the Hank Nichols bulletin. It very much applies to the high school game too. HS officials often do a poor job of controlling the play and in enforcing bench decorum. I cannot tell you how many times I hear the following things in pregames.

1) "We're gonna let em' play tonight."
2) "I don't care where the coaches are as long as they aren't yelling at me."

Control the game and the coaches box.

Z

National Coordinator of Men’s Basketball Officiating.

SUBJECT: Officiating Slippage

We have done it again! After a great beginning of enforcing the points of emphasis, there has been drastic slippage by officials during February, especially as it concerns post play and the coaching box. This is disappointing.

Rough Play. There has been deterioration in calling post play action, roughness during rebounding and cutters being manhandled. All of the good work done previously this season will be for naught if officials continue to ignore the illegal rough play that has surfaced in recent games. There has been too much ignoring plays that were called earlier in the season. Officials, if you have pride in doing
the right thing for the game of basketball, you will address this major concern in every game immediately.

Coaching Box. Many coaches have been roaming all over, getting on the court and going past the 28-foot coaching box demarcation with complete immunity. This is a serious problem and is also unacceptable. As much as we have addressed this issue, officials keep ignoring the problem game after game. Officials must take care of this problem and keep the coaches where they are supposed to be. Coaches must take more responsibility on themselves to stay in the coaching box.