View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I would like to see a rule change

Quote:
Originally posted by VaCoach
I think the best answer for this would be a rule change that simply states, "if a player leaves the court to gain an advantage,it would be a violation" Most refs would call this, its tough to call the "T" when a player runs 3 feet out of bounds on the baseline.
How is this a tough T call? What are you teaching your players? You play ball inbounds, not out of bounds. It is against the rules and penalized by a T because the rules committee considers this to be very unsportmanlike to gain an advantage that way.

I have called this without a warning when a kid went around a screen oob and came in under the basket, got the pass and laid it in. The poor defender was trying to get around the screen in bounds. To the kid's credit, he came to me after the game to get an explanation of the rule and he told me his coach designed the play that way.

I have also warned the player when no advantage resulted from the play. I don't want to T players but we should not let blantant plays go. Should the penalty be changed to a violation? maybe. Should the penalty be changed to a T on the head coach? I like that idea better, I have no problem giving a T where it is deserved. It is your responsibility to teach your players the game.