View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

What?

99.9% of the time you don't see him, you are refing the game?

Part of the job in being a referee is about game management and being aware of the coach is part of game management. Coaches deserve more attention than that. Suppose a coach goes ballistic. How often is this an all of a sudden situation? Watch a game tape, most of the time it is because of a sequence of events that has caused the coach to erupt. More game/coach management: coach calling out defensive and offensive sets, press situations, fouling with the intent to stop the clock, calling time-outs, requests to officials to protect shooters, etc. Staring can fall under this area, especially if coach is standing at half court glaring at you and everyone in the gym knows he is showing you up. So, if you are telling me that this all happens 0.1% of the time, then you are part of a different game.

I agree that comments don't necessarily require a reply, but if the comment is along the lines of "you're terrible" or "you've got to help your partner," then I disagree completely.

As far as staring back at a coach and putting your whistle in your mouth to send a message, the call you get from your assignor (and the video tape that they receive) will wonder why you were baiting/trying to intimidate the coach.

Maybe I read too much into the comments made here.