View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

I know this post will be met with strong criticism, but....

I have learned that sometimes if you let the first offense go (unless it's totally overboard), everyone will get back to playing hard. Even if I have to call a T on a team that feels as though they are being cheated, I am careful about my body language when I give the T. No storming to the table, glaring at the player, yelling out things like "I've heard enough". I try to use the technical foul to diffuse situations, not incite them.

Is there another way you could have handled any of those situations so that the game could have ended positively? Okay, you tried the 6 technical way and that didn't work. It is possible that nothing could have worked, but we've got to manage the game as best we can. What if you just looked away instead of giving the T for the eye-rubbing?

Keep in mind that I ref intramural (and rec league) games differently than high school, simply because there are no coaches to calm players down and the games have less meaning for players so they are quicker to do something crazy.