Thread: Rookie Question
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Hi All,

I've appreciated reading many of your posts in the last month or so. I've recently become registered as an official and am learning at an exponential rate, this forum has been part of that learning. I love the game of basketball and have really enjoyed the informal officiating I've done already. Doing it "officially" will be nice when the time comes but I need more study before I do it for pay (money being about last on my list for reasons I'm interested).

My first question comes from a pick-up game I was playing in last night. Guy saves a loose ball (he did not previously control) from going out of bounds along the sideline and his momentum carries him out of bounds. He returns with one foot inbounds at which point he gains control of the ball (no one else has since touched it) by dribbling. Everyone screams he "can't do that" and the ball turns over. I couldn't step in and argue because I just didn't know yet what the call would be.

What would be the ruling?

Last night was interesting because there were three other instances I was able to lend my two cents worth to: A "kick", a "self-pass" and the "verticallity rule". Feels good to know what's going on.