View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Be reasonable. Argue.

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I hope next year they make this a violation just like the NCAA. Then it could be called much more. A Technical is much too harsh for this. No different than the elbow throwing T that was changed to a simple violation.

Peace
Agree. Wondering though, how do you penalize the defense if they commit this infraction?
If someone does it to escape a 3 second violation, I call 3 seconds. The violation occured before the guy's foot set down out of bounds. Because I said so.

If someone takes two ugly steps along the baseline out of bounds on an inbounds play, I live with it. If they cross the lane, come in, gain an advantage like a wide open 3 - the oldest illegalinboundsplay in the book - I call the T.I'm not going to let them score, and chances are the coach has encouraged this, or, at least, is aware of it. If they don't gain an advantage, I mention it to both coaches, and all bets are then off.

It's allowed too much, the inbounds play, so there is an UNreasonable expectation that it's OK, and a genuine ignorance of the rule.

I couldn't agree more with whoever said these things should be changed to violations - a la the elbow thing. Too severe, thus under-if-ever enforced.