View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 31, 2000, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

quote:
Originally posted by divey on 01-31-2000 01:21 PM
KDM

Who said anything about DEBATING the Coach?

Part of being a well rounded official is ones ability to interact with PEOPLE! Rules knowledge, proper mechanics, staying in good physical shape, proper attire, character are all just some attributes of a good official.

To be able to talk - not "debate" - with game management and coaches, in a professional manner, can only increase our credibility.

divey,

First, the dictionary calls 'debate' as A FORMAL DISCUSSION. It isn't necessarily 'argumentive'.

My initial reply was to outline the contradictions of the NF in regard to communication between officials and coaches, plus to re-enforce 'Alaska Ref's' reply.

Since you feel that you are correct with your un-frazzled responses, I now have decided to verify the information of your responses via the 1999-2000 officials manual. Surely it will answer the questions about (1)'coaches asking questions before the game' and (2)'the pre-game conference is a great time to show them how you can interact in non-game situations' and (3)'that MY credibility is increased when coaches and I talk in a professional way'. These are basically your 3 comments.

Let's see, here we go, page 7 (3rd sentence), ...carrying on long conversations with him/her BEFORE, during, or after the game may give the appearance of favortism. Uh-oh, not what I'm looking for. But I'll keep looking. Okay, page 9, CARDINAL PRINCIPALS, sub-letter j. .....Do NOT fraternize with coaches of fans BEFORE or during the game.

Hang in there pal, I'll find it. Maybe page 11, number 35. '...officials should NOT comment ... relative to games. NEVER discuss the play or players of an opponent with any coach.' Ooohh! That not the one I'm looking for. It's here somewhere ......... Okay, how about page 16, number 103, sub-letter c. ... AVOID unnecessary visiting ... following introduction.

I'm sorry divey, I can't seem to find the proper endorsements of your responses. But I'm sure you will help!

KDM