View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 31, 2000, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by KDM on 01-29-2000 02:29 PM
divey,

I'm not trying to answer for Alaska Ref, but let me show you how contrary the NF is. A few years ago, officials were required to stand opposite the table for warm-ups. The intent was to prevent 'questions' and conversations from the coaches.

The NF, this year, moves the 'foul reporting area' toward the center of the court. Again, the intent was to prevent conversations of any type between officials and coaches.

The NF wants us to exit the playing area quickly after the conclusion of the game -- again to avoid conversations.

The dressing rooms in most areas have a 'closed door' policy which prevents coaches wanting to enter and ask questions.

During timeouts, we are instructed to communicate with 'captains', not the coaches. Again, we are to avoid conversations with the coaches.

So what is it with the NF? I don't know, but my experience has proven to me that our mouths usually get us in more trouble than our ability.

But, I personally think that the NF 'booted' this one, and I wouldn't be surprised if the idea gradually disappears. It is by all means contradictary, when compared to other mechanics in relation to communication with coaches.

One additional key note to your statement, "... a great time to show them how you can interact in a non-game situation." What is this all about? This is basketball -- not debate! I know some great officials that aren't strong communicators, and I know some weak officials who are great communicators. My philosophy -- the least said, the least likelihood that you will be misquoted.

KDM

KDM

Who said anything about DEBATING the Coach?

Part of being a well rounded official is ones ability to interact with PEOPLE! Rules knowledge, proper mechanics, staying in good physical shape, proper attire, character are all just some attributes of a good official.

KDM stated some officials "are great officials but aren't strong communicators". Then "some weak officials that are great communicators". Very true, but if those are your ONLY choices what catagory official are you in? My point is, we can all strive to ADD varying attributes to our game. The more attributes the better the official.

If you are "weak" in an area of officiating don't just accept it - work on improving it.

If you are "weak" in communicating don't just accept it - work on improving that also.

To be able to talk - not "debate" - with game management and coaches, in a professional manner, can only increase our credibility.