View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: It does from a rule perspective

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
You are way overanlyzing this, IMO. Paragraphs 1-4 following 4-6-E give specific examples of illegal players. It does not claim to list all possible examples of an illegal player. Notice the EFFECT (except for #1) is not listed until after all of the examples. The ASA rule book never has tried to list all possible situations. Apply 10-1 if you must have a justification, but I would simply apply the EFFECT given.
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Any reason you can't treat this as an unannounced sub and a BOO?
Yes, because the FLEX batting after the DP is, by definition of 4-6-E an illegal player, not an unannounced sub. An unannounced sub is legal for the substitution, just not announced.

The ruling made was wrong, that is clear.

What we would have is EFFECT a)-3), an illegal player who has completed a turn at bat and a pitch has been thrown. The illegal player is DQed and removed from the base. The illegal player may be replaced on the base if the team has an eligible sub. The advance of R2 stands. If there are no eligible subs for FLEX, then the shorthanded rule applies, and by 4-1-D-2-c, the illegal player is declared OUT.
I agree with Tom, that the illegal player ruling is the correct application. BUT, I am still unconvinced that BOO doesn't also apply to B2. (NOTE: I was on an adjacent field, and discussed the ruling after the game with the UIC.) Not only did the FLEX become an illegal player when entering for someone other than the DP on offense, the FLEX batted for B1. When a next pitch was thrown, the proper batter was B2, yet B1 batted. At the completion of that at-bat, the defense properly appealed BOO, before a next pitch. I believe that Tom's ruling (the same made by Dick Gayler, incidently) should be supplemented by B2 being declared out, incorrect B1 removed from 1B, the advance by R1 negated, and B1 re-entered as R1 on 1B.

If we think in terms that the legal batting order is supported by position 1-9 in the scorebook, and that the offense can't create position 10, the FLEX batted in B1's place; after all, she batted SOMEWHERE! Simply calling her an illegal player (yes, she is, but not limited to that) doesn't correct the other illegal act she committed, batting out of order. Scorekeeper must enter her actions there, once a following pitch is thrown. B2 is now the correct batter, and the BOO rule should have been enforced, as well (IMO).