View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
I need a new chest protector, but that helmet looks great and I'm not trying to dish out 300 bucks for both. Does anyone wear the helmet? Is it comfortable?

Helmet vs mask should have been the question!

Your thoughts please!
I have both the WV Platinum and the All-Star Helmet. The main selling points for me were safety. The WV Platinum is well constructed and fits me quite well (which is a good thing because I am on the thin side and most gear like this is too big). I much prefer the All-Star Helmets to the regular face mask, as the visibility (in my opinion anyway) is better, and I find that I can speak in a clearer fashion. There is plenty of venting in the helmet, so I don't find that it gets too hot, though I wouldn't want to wear a hat underneath it.

It's hard to say which one you should get first. Both are important; I would lean towards the chest protector first, and then the helmet soon thereafter, depending on the level of baseball you are working and the quality of your existing equipment.

I can't put a price on my own safety, but if you're working higher level baseball, you may want to seriously consider the cost as an investment in your own health.

Good luck.